Thank you for your interest in Fugue! Poetry, fiction, and creative nonfiction submissions are accepted here on Submittable only; please send no more than five poems, two short-shorts, one story, or one essay per submission. For reviews, we accept pitches or completed pieces via email--see guidelines at https://fuguejournal.com/general-submissions.
Upcoming open submissions periods include:
- Fiction and nonfiction OPEN January 15-February 7
- Prose and poetry contests OPEN February 15-March 15
We welcome, center, and encourage submissions from Black, Indigenous, queer, and trans folks, writers of color, and disabled writers.
Thank you for ordering Fugue!
Some quick notes:
- Our current print issue is Issue 62 - Spring 2022
- Our second most recent print issue is Issue 61— Fall 2021
- The price indicated below includes free shipping (within U.S.)
- If ordering the "Bundle" option, please specify which back issue you'd like to include in the "Notes for Us" section below.
- The following back issues are out of print:
- Issue 53 - Summer/Fall 2016
- Issue 45 - Summer/Fall 2013
- Issue 43 - Summer/Fall 2012
- Issue 41 - Summer/Fall 2011
- Issue 40 - Winter/Spring 2011
- Issue 39 - Summer/Fall 2010
- Issue 36 - Winter/Spring 2009
Send us the stories that need to be out in the world. The ones we couldn’t ask you to send us, because we don’t yet know we need them. Whether you’re trying something old in a way we haven’t seen, or something new in a way that feels immediately classic, we want to read the stories you make essential: the voice that we can’t get out of our head, the off-kilter narrative, the questions that don’t have ready answers. Surprise us.
We are especially eager to be a platform for voices that are consciously, unconsciously, and systemically underrepresented.
While we love reading stories of all lengths, it is more difficult to make space for anything over 15 pages in Fugue. Please attach your story as a .doc or .docx file.
Finally, we know the anxiety of submission; we are grateful for your trust and look forward to reading your stories.
We are looking for essays that experiment, that take formal risks and let the language lead. We like literary nonfiction of all sorts—from personal essay to flash and hybrid works—but we especially enjoy a clear voice, genre-bending sensibilities, surprising language, and attention to the twists and turns of intellection. In any case, we are looking for a compelling narrative of inquiry and discovery, one that makes us think.
We welcome, center, and encourage submissions from Black, Indigenous, queer and trans folks, writers of color, and disabled writers, and we hope to include both established and new voices in our pages.
Thank you for your submissions—we look forward to reading your work. Please attach your work as a .doc or .docx file.